About Coughs And Its Types
Cough is faced from time to time by the young and the old. It is also referred to as tussis and an involuntary or voluntary act to clear the breathing and throat from passage of microbes, foreign particles, irritants, mucus and fluids. It is also rapid air expulsion from the lungs.
It is either done as part of reflex or deliberately. Although it may be seen to be a sign of some serious illness, it is likely to clear on its own, not requiring any medical attention.
Facts pertaining to cough
- Coughing may be used by few germs to spread further to new hosts.
- Some cough types may occur at night only.
- There is wide range of causes for cough to occur.
- Home remedies may be used to sooth most coughs.
- If it becomes a problem to diagnose cough, then chest x-ray could be prescribed.
- Using the best cough syrup for adults like Torex cough syrup is sure to bring the best results naturally without requiring conventional medicines.
What exactly is a cough?
Cough has three phases:
- Breathing in (inhalation)
- Increased pressure in lungs and throat with closed vocal cords.
- Explosive air release with the opening of vocal cords, to give out a characteristic sounding cough.
In case, the person coughs a lot, then it may be some disease sign. A good number of coughs are said to be the result of infectious diseases such as common cold. However, few non-infectious causes are also present. Few potential causes are given below:
Most coughs are stated to be caused due to viruses and may clear up without having to undergo any treatment.
Short term (Acute) cough causes
Infection, in the majority of the cases takes place within the upper respiratory tract, which later affects the throat region. It is referred to as upper respiratory tract infection (URI) or URTI. Few examples of the same include:
- Common cold
In case, the problem of infection is found with the lower respiratory tract (LRTI), then it is the lungs which have been infected or the airways which are lower down the windpipe region. Few examples include:
Hay fever may also cause acute cough.
Long term (chronic) cough causes
This type of cough could be a result of:
- Mucus that drips down throat form nose (post nasal drip) back portion.
- Few medications like ACE inhibitors
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Chronic coughs taking place in children are mostly caused by asthma. It may also emerge from conditions like GERD or post-nasal drip.
The lesser known causes of this condition suffered by adults include lung cancer, fungal infections taking place in the lung and Tuberculosis (TB).
Different types of coughs
Coughs may be described by the following:
- Characteristics: How sound of the cough feel like? Is it dry, wet or hacking?
- Experience or behaviour: Why and when cough occurs? Does it take place while exercising, after eating or at night?
- Effects: Is the cause associated with symptoms like sleeplessness, vomiting or urinary incontinence?
- Duration: Does the cough suffered from last for about 2, 6 or 8+ weeks?
- Grade: How bad the cough is – debilitating, persistent or annoying?
Cough reflex, occasionally gets triggered due to obstruction caused in the airway. Immediate medical attention will be necessary if something ingested is found to block the airway. Choking signs may include the following:
- Ineffective or weak cough
- Whistling, wheezing or odd breathing noises
- Inability to cry or speak
- Losing consciousness
- Bluish skin
Taking the best cough syrup for adults ayurvedic, like Torex cough syrup is completely safe and provides the best results.
Types of cough
cough: It is also referred to as productive cough and a type
which usually brings mucus and caused by flu or cold. It may come quickly or
slowly and also be accompanied by various symptoms like:
- Postnasal drip
- Runny nose
It sounds as the body tries to push out mucus from the respiratory system, including the lungs, throat, airway and the nose. In this type of cough symptoms, the feeling may be like something dripping or getting stuck in the chest or at the back of the throat. Some coughs may also bring mucus within the mouth. It may be acute in nature and last for about 3 weeks or even turn chronic, to be experienced for around 4 weeks by children and 8 weeks by adults. Few conditions which may be the cause for wet cough to be experienced are:
- Acute bronchitis
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) including chronic bronchitis and emphysema
- Flu or cold
- Dry Cough: This type of cough is not known to bring mucus and give that tickling feeling in the back of the throat region, thereby triggering cough reflex. This in turn, gives out hacking coughs. Such types of coughs can be tough to control and might cause long fits. If there is irritation or inflammation experienced within the respiratory tract, however not any excess mucus build up, then dry cough is likely to occur. Upper respiratory infections like flu or cold may cause such coughs. Dry coughs experienced by both adults and children may last for about several weeks after passage of flu or cold. The other possible causes are given below:
- Sore throat
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Exposure towards irritants like smoke, dust or pollution
- Medications like ACE inhibitors
- Paroxysmal Cough: Such type of cough takes place with uncontrollable, intermittent violent attacks. It also feels painful and exhausting. There are times when the person may struggle to breathe and even might vomit. Whooping cough or Pertussis is considered to be a bacterial infection which results in violent coughing fits. With whooping cough attacks, oxygen present in the lungs gets released, this in turn causes the person to inhale violently, but with a ‘whoop’ sound. But babies are considered to be at more risk to contract whooping cough as well as experience serious complications, which could also be life threatening. Getting vaccinated is regarded to be the best way to eliminate contracting pertussis. It is whooping cough that causes paroxysmal coughs. The other possible reasons for bad coughing fit are given below:
- Croup cough: This viral infection affects children typically of the age 5 & much younger. This type is generally swelling and irritation in the upper airway region. Younger children do have narrow airways. If swelling takes place in the airway, it only narrows this region all the more, thus making it difficult to breathe. Characteristic ‘barking’ cough sounds such as a seal are often caused. Swelling in the voice box region also may cause squeaky breathing noises and raspy voices. For both adults and children, Croup is likely to be scary. Children are likely to suffer more to breathe properly; thereby causing high pitched noises while inhaling fresh air or simply breathe rapidly. Children might become bluish or pale at times.
For the best cough syrup for adults for dry cough, the person may trust Ayurvedic products like Torex cough syrup.