It could be that someone in your family is suffering from respiratory disorders. The doctor may have prescribed some medicines to be taken regularly to ease pain and provide comfort. You may have heard about Sunthi and it is being used to treat respiratory disorders. Before getting to know about the magical effects of Sunthi, you need to know all about respiratory disorders. Only then will you be able to derive effective treatment.
About respiratory system disorder
According to health experts, respiratory diseases or disorders are considered to be diseases of the airways and lungs, thus affecting human respiration. The disorder is rather defined as a body’s irregular functioning state. Such diseases or disorders are medical terms that are used to study different types of diseases, allergies, and infections. These are generally associated with different tissues, specialized cells and organs present within the respiratory system.
The human respiratory system comprises alveoli, upper respiratory tract, trachea, bronchioles, bronchi, pleural cavity, and pleura. A mild respiratory disorder experienced is the common cold. There also occur life-threatening, serious respiratory disorders like tuberculosis, influenza, asthma, lung cancer, and pneumonia.
What factors affect respiratory system disorders?
Few factors include the following:
- Viral and bacterial infections
- Air pollution
Know the different types
Millions of people across the globe are infected with respiratory system disorders. Three major types are found, namely:
- Lung circulation disease: Such disorders generally occur as blood vessels present in the lungs get coagulated, damaged, or swollen. It affects the lungs’ ability to receive oxygen as well as release carbon dioxide. The disorder, in extreme cases, might affect the heart’s overall functioning.
- Lung tissue disease: Thin tissue layer referred to as the pleura covers the human lungs. Certain bacterial or viral infections may affect the lung tissue structure, thereby causing inflammation or scarring. This, in turn, causes expansion of the lungs, thus making it difficult to breathe.
- Airway Disease: This disorder affects the functioning of the bronchial tubes. This is the result of transporting gases and oxygen in & out of the lungs region. Moreover, the air passage also gets reduced significantly, related to blocking or narrowing of the bronchial tubes.
What causes respiratory system disorders?
Such diseases take place due to over-exposure to pollutants, the passive inhaling of tobacco smoke, radon, asbestos, smoking, etc.
Major respiratory diseases or disorders experienced
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease): It includes respiratory diseases which cause the inability to exhale or breathlessness. Most people exposed to some kind of smoke are affected by this disorder. It is considered to be serious and may worsen even after you quit smoking.
- Asthma: This chronic disease affects the bronchioles and bronchi present in the lung region. Breathing can become a tough task accompanied by restlessness, severe cough, wheezing sound during breathing, and cough. The following factors may cause asthma problems:
- Air pollutants
- Extreme physical activity
- Respiratory infections
- Airborne allergens
- Cold air
- Occupational Respiratory Disorders: It is a type of disorder affecting the human respiratory system. It is due to the long-term inhalation of dust, proteins, and chemicals. Inhaling asbestos dust causes Asbestosis. Such respiratory disorders occur by inhaling the given below substances:
- Harmful gases and fumes are emitted by industries like nitrogen oxides, chlorine, and ammonia.
- Dust from coal, silica, cotton, pesticides, and drug powders.
- Sprays of paints, varnish, pesticides, and acids.
- Smoke emitted by burning organic materials.
- Fumes emitted by metals.
- Emphysema: It is considered to be a chronic disease causing a reduction in the respiratory surface. It results from damage experienced by the alveolar walls in the lungs. Smoking cigarettes is the main reason for experiencing this disorder. The main symptoms include cough and shortness of breath. It can result in elasticity loss in the lungs.
- Lung cancer: It may develop in the lungs on any of the parts. Treatment depends on its spread, location and type affected.
- Sinusitis: Mucous membranes present within the nasal sinus may get inflamed thus causing this disorder. Mucus is produced by this membrane, thus draining into nasal cavities. Some airborne allergens, viral or bacterial infections may result in the mucous membranes getting inflamed.
Zingiber officinale is considered to be an herbaceous, perennial plant belonging to the Zingiberaceae family. It grows in Southeast Asia, mostly in India, Nepal, China, Malaku Islands, Thailand, Nigeria, and other regions. This tropical plant requires well-drained organic soil combined with a warm climate for proper development and growth. This reed-type plant is widely grown for its rhizome. It is about 3-4 feet in height, with elongated, long, alternately arranged leaves.
What are its medicinal properties?
- Anti-platelet: Studies conducted have revealed that Zingiber Officinale has some chemical components. It helps prevent blood clots and boosts platelets.
- Anti-cancer: Researches have proved that a chemical component 6-gingerol is available in its extracts. This helps kill cancer cells.
- Anti-inflammatory: Studies have also shown that the release of certain chemicals is slowed down significantly. These chemicals are known to cause inflammation.
- Antioxidant: According to clinical trials, Zingiber Officinale contains gingerol that slows down free radical release while preventing cell damage.
- Anti-emetic: Its extracts contain galanolactone, schools, and gingerols, which help inhibit vomiting and nausea.
- Anti-bacterial: It contains some chemical properties like ingenol mebutate and shogaol to inhibit bacteria growth.
- Anti-tussive: Its extract contains shogaol thus reducing cough.
- Hypolipidemic: It helps reduce significantly blood cholesterol levels.
Benefits of sunthi
There are 115+ chemical components present in Zingiber officinale, thereby offering superior health benefits.
- Cold & flu: Its warming effect can help cure a cold & flu.
- Indigestion: There are present phenolic compounds in the extract, thereby helping to stimulate gastric enzymes while boosting the digestion process.
- Alzheimer’s disease: It has some beneficial chemical components which help improve memory and prevents a reduction in brain function.
- Menstrual pain: Its chemical components provide relief to pain and menstrual cramps.
- Osteoarthritis: Gingerol, the chemical component present in the extracts has anti-arthritic properties. It helps reduce joint inflammation and pain.
Sunthi is also beneficial to treat various types of health ailments. It includes certain heart diseases, bacterial infections, cancers, motion sickness, dizziness, diabetes, insect bites, respiratory conditions, irritable bowel syndrome along other conditions.
Safe use of Zingiber officinale (Sunthi)
In case, you fall under any of the below health conditions, then you need to use this extract with some caution.
- Pregnancy, Breastfeeding:
- It is safe to take Sunthi during pregnancy. However, its usage during this stage can be controversial, since it might increase stillborn risks or interfere with fetal sex hormone.
- During pregnancy, it can help manage morning sickness. It might also increase bleeding risk. Hence it is better to avoid extracts when the delivery date is close.
- During pregnancy as well as while breastfeeding, consult a good doctor.
- Heart disease:
- It might worsen heart conditions.
- If you suffer from any heart ailment, consult the doctor before use.
- It might interfere with the action of a few medications, thus changing how it works.
- If taking anti-platelet drugs (to prevent, cure blood clots), consult your doctor.
Therefore, you can take the doctor’s recommendation to take sunthi to treat the respiratory disorder. You may avail ‘Torex Cough Syrup’ to treat common cough problems without requiring any doctor prescription.