Common Cold In Babies- Symptoms And Prevention
Everyone wishes and wants to live a healthy life, but no one is ready to follow a healthy diet or not ready to sacrifice the junk food. People in ancient times were fit and healthy because they did a lot of physical work and ate a proper healthy diet which was rich in nutrients that our body requires. Parents can get any common cold syrup for child from the market.
Nowadays, people are affected by various health problems because of poor lifestyle, there is very little, or no physical activity included in their schedule and also the diet they consume is rich in fats and has no other nutrients. The same lifestyle is followed by the children and parents pay no attention to their child’s eating habits and his/her physical activity.
Children of the new generation have no interest in outdoor games or sports, they are just addicted to mobile phones and video games. The lack of physical activity in children and poor eating habits is leading to numerous health diseases in them like obesity, etc. Poor eating habits at the time of pregnancy leads to poor growth of the baby as the baby did not get the nutrients that would have been required by the baby in the mother’s womb. The poor lifestyle of parents leads to poor growth of their children due to which the baby has very high chances of getting ill or a health problem.
The most common problem in children as well as in adults is the common cold. The viral infection in the upper respiratory tract i.e., nose and throat is the common cold. It does not harm the body but is very irritable.
Various kinds of viruses can be the reason for the common cold. Mostly, younger children below the age of 6 have more possibility of getting infected through common cold, that doesn’t mean that adults don’t get infected by the common cold. Normally it takes 7-10 days to recover from the common cold.
The immune system of newborn babies or younger children is weak and it takes a few years to fully mature, which is why babies are at higher risk to get infected by viral infections like cold. The cold from which a baby gets infected, helps him/her to increase their immunity power. A baby can get infected from cold at any time of the year irrespective of the summer or winter season. Parents can get any common cold syrup for babies from the market.
The stuffed or runny nose can be the indication of cold in newborn babies. Initially, the discharge from nose can be clear and thin but after some days can transform into thicker and yellowish green in colour, it doesn’t mean that the cold has got worse. Other symptoms of cold in babies are fever, sneezing, fussiness, coughing, reduced hunger, trouble in falling asleep or difficulty in breastfeeding or taking a bottle because of nasal congestion.
The cause of common cold in children or babies can be due to upper respiratory infection, which is not caused by bacterial infections and does not react to antibiotics. The doctor can take a blood test, urine test of the baby to identify whether the baby is affected by a viral infection or bacterial infection. Viruses or bacteria live in the air and on surfaces and through transmission, make babies sick. The infection can lead to illnesses like pneumonia, sore throat, ear infections, flu, etc.
- Flu: The symptoms that the baby is affected by flu are vomiting, diarrhoea or symptoms that the baby can’t tell like body pain, headache or sore throat.
- Pneumonia: Cold can easily turn into pneumonia. The symptoms of pneumonia are sweating, fever, cough, difficulty in breathing, etc.
Babies who frequently meet adults can expose the baby to germs which can make them infected from cold. Babies who breastfeed have more immunity as compared to others because white blood cells (WBC) and enzymes are supplied to the baby’s body which protects them from getting easily infected.
If 2-3 months old baby is infected from cold, then he/she should be visited by a doctor to protect from the serious conditions or infections. A baby 2-6 months old having a fever of more than 100.5˚F is required to visit the doctor. Irrespective of the age of baby, the fever which persists for more than five days requires a visit by the doctor. In the case of the following symptoms, the baby needs a visit by a doctor:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Unusual cry
- Bloody or thick mucus from the nose
- Consistent cough
- Fever for more than 5 days
- Or whenever they don’t seem like themselves
You should never give antibiotics as they don’t work for treating cold. The visitors should be asked to wash their hands before meeting babies and avoid ill persons visiting the baby, as babies easily get infected. The surfaces near the baby must be kept clean.
The toys of the baby should be cleaned frequently to eliminate the germs. Precaution is always better than cure so try to take precautions for your baby to avoid any kind of illness. You can buy common cold syrup for child to get relief from the common cold.
Usually cough and cold occur simultaneously to a person and to get rid of cough Torex Herbal Cough Syrup is very useful. It is an Ayurvedic formula to provide relief from cough. The syrup is safe to be consumed by all age groups whether children or adults. Syrup if consumed with a glass of lukewarm water provides the best results.
This Ayurvedic formula is packed with 20 natural herbs. This herbal cough syrup is very useful in providing relief from wet and dry cough, chronic bronchitis, allergic rhinitis. It is recommended that children should take ½-1 tsp full 3-4 times a day and adults should take 2 tsp full 3-4 times a day for best results. The ingredients of this herbal cough syrup are as follows:
- Tulsi: Tulsi is a plant whose leaves are very helpful in boosting immunity. It helps in controlling cough and mucus. It helps in the expansion of lung airways and relieves chest congestion. It is very helpful in speedy recovery from respiratory problems.
- Banapsha: It is very helpful in eliminating excess mucus from nasal and provides relief from nasal congestion. It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Pippali: It is helpful in cold and removing mucus from the lungs and nose by increasing the circulation in the lungs. People who are frequently affected by cold are recommended to consume this herb to prevent cold.
- Tailspatra: It has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-tumour, anti-inflammatory properties. The leaves of this plant provide relief from watery discharge, sneezing, and cold. It diminishes the production of mucus and increases appetite. It is very helpful in treating inflammation, fever and various dental problems.
- Yashtimadhu: This herb is very effective in treating cough, sore throat, chest congestion, and acute bronchitis. It is known for treating allergies by boosting the immune system of the body.
- Guggulu: It provides relief from whooping cough
- Draksha: Helps in treating difficulty in breathing.
- Kulanjan: This herb is used to treat problems related to the winter season. It helps in providing relief from sore throat.
- Vasa: It is well-known for making the respiratory system work properly. It treats common cold and cough.
- Aamlaki: It mainly acts on the throat and provides relief from sore throat.
- Madhu (Honey): It is extracted from beehives and is used for treating cough.